Leche Flan (Whole Eggs) My own recipe

, , No Comments
That egg whites prevent the leche flan from turning creamy. and still creamy, the outcome has a lot to do with this preparation. I will do it slow and low "1-hr baking in a water bath on low temp of 295 deg F". Many think using the strainer is the best way to make it smooth. I made use of the pulse setting of a blender "short bursts" to make a mixture with minimal waste. You know how hard it is to push the eggwhite through the mesh. How hard it is to clean it up. This recipe tastes so good in my opinion (I got the recipe from Milkmaid label.I was still in College), does not make me crazy trying to figure out what to do with the egg whites. More importantly, egg white is having a protein, and egg yolk is mostly cholesterol. I really do not want to waste protein and make the egg flan cholesterol-laden. I have very rich tasting leche flan this way (Friends who have tasted this can attest to that. Get together and they see a leche flan on the table, (Masayang masaya ako dahil gumawa ka ng leche flan. Buti gumawa ka!" my friend said. We have tasted the yolk only flan, it is just rich, like the cake. I have been making this for 12yrs (Moderate heat for 30 minutes covered with foil, baked in water bath for 1 hr or so at 295 F).






INGRIDIENTS:

1 tsp vanilla (alternative: few drops of McCormick lemon extract essence)
(optional: 1 8-oz cream cheese + 1 additional egg for cheesecake-like flan)
1/2 cup white sugar
4 whole eggs
1 can condensed milk (14-oz)
1 can evaporated milk (15-oz)


PROCEDURE:

NOTE: I prefer to use the oven, using water bath method.

1. Caramelize the sugar in an 8-inch round aluminum pan over low heat . Swirl the pan around stir with a spoon once it starts to melt. Easily scorch and will be bitter if that happens, keep an eye on that (takes about 20-30 mins and it start melting. I prefer a bit of bitterness like that of drinks.
You may want to try caramelizing sugar in the microwave. Place 1 cup of sugar in microwave-safe cup and add enough water (about 2-3 tbsp) to wet all of the sugar.  Microwave for about 4-5 minutes,  on the 4th minutes wait until it turns into amber-colored liquid per your preference (if you want it lighter, stop earlier). Grab with gloves on and then pour into the pan that you are going to cook your flan in. Small custard cups or 8-in round baking pan. Quickly tilt to coat before it hardens.




0 comments:

Post a Comment