Chicken Gumbo Tita Joy Special

, , No Comments
We had leftover chicken meat from roast chicken. I guess all of us were getting bored of the usual chicken and gravy or chicken sandwich. We have had to use up leftover roast chicken meat.
I saw the photo of "Gumbo Biscuit Bake". I thought we could make gumbo without the biscuit.  We still did not think much about consuming processed food, my favorite soup to bring to work was Chicken Gumbo soup. That we have been trying to stay away from processed foods, The recipe for this inspired me to make my own.

Reading the other ingredients, I will use the tapioca flour as thickener. And also used 1 can of diced tomatoes instead of 2. Just added tomato sauce, used homemade chicken broth.

Taste that of the commercial one, without the fake and unhealthy ingredients. I think the natural umami developed in my chicken broth made a big difference

I cooked usual ground beef potatoes brocolli meal (Serve to her when I cook something that she most likely would not eat like noodles).

She was intrigued that I did not serve this to her,and she said it was delicious. Had another spoonful. Then she said, she would eat what.

 I cooked for her because I spent the effort and time to prepare it, she would like to have the chicken gumbo for lunch on other day.



INGRIDIENTS:

1 lb smoked kielbasa, sliced
10 oz cooked chicken breast, diced (about 1 big breast)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne
2 tbsp cooking oil (I use coconut oil or chicken fat or pork lard)
1 medium onion, diced
3-4 celery stalks, sliced
1 large green pepper ( to 8 oz), diced
 pepper, to taste
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 cup to 1 cup tomato sauce (I used homemade)
3 cups chicken broth (I used homemade)
1/4 cup tapioca or arrowroot flour for thickening (dissolved in 1/4 cup water)


PROCEDURE:

On medium high heat using a large saute pan , the vegetables and cook for about 5 minutes or until veggies are soft.
Add  meat, spices, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and broth.
Bring to a simmer. Turn the heat to low. Add the thickenerCover and continue to simmer for about 25 minutes.
Taste and adjust salt as needed.
You might want to consider serving biscuits or rolls with this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment